Add and Subtract Fractions - Visual Models Included - Digital
Use visual models along with the standard algorithm to quickly and effectively teach your students how to add and subtract fractions with like and unlike denominators using this comprehensive digital resource pack.
Using visual models, students will have a more hands-on approach to “see” what it looks like when adding and subtracting fractions in addition to using the standard algorithm. It’s great for kinesthetic learners as well as students that may struggle with memorizing algorithms.
This resource is complete, comprehensive, and easy to follow with a clear format. It is low-prep and easy to assign to a sub and contains engaging activities using Google Slides and Google Forms. If your students are struggling conceptually, this resource is for you!
It is intended for 5th grade, but includes two mini-lessons with unlike denominators in case your students need a review from 4th grade. It can also be used in a 4th grade math class in which the lessons with unlike denominators can be used for differentiation.
Standards: 5.NF.1, 5.NF.2
Introduce each skill with the detailed set of notes and sample problems in Google Slides. I suggest doing this in a whole group setting and pulling the slides up on a Smartboard if you’re in person or share the screen online if you’re teaching virtually.
Gradually release students to practice independently using the practice slides. Check for understanding and mastery after teaching each skill using the exit tickets.
When all skills have been taught, provide additional practice and review using the set of digital task cards in Google Forms, then assess with the final quiz when you feel students are ready. There are 2 quizzes: like denominators and unlike denominators.
What You Get
- Fraction Notes Pages for Finding the Least Common Multiple, Simplifying Fractions, and Converting Improper Fractions and Mixed Numbers
- Adding Fractions with Like Denominators
- Subtracting Fractions with Like Denominators
- Adding Fractions with Unlike Denominators Using Visual Models
- Subtracting Fractions with Unlike Denominators Using Visual Models
- Adding Fractions with Unlike Denominators Using the Standard Algorithm
- Subtracting Fractions with Unlike Denominators Using the Standard Algorithm
- Detailed Notes (Google Slides)
- Sample Problems (Google Slides)
- 2 practice activities (Google Slides)
- 2 Exit Tickets (Google Forms)
- Task Cards (Google Forms)
- Quiz - Like Denominators (Google Forms)
- Quiz - Unlike Denominators(Google Forms)
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Holy cow! This resource is outstanding! I love the visuals and the little tutorial video you give too. Honestly, I threw out all of my old "stuff" and I am using this instead. It has been great with my special needs students. It saved me HOURS of prep work transforming my old lessons into updated, distance learning lessons. Thank you! - Jacquee’s Junction
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ This was great to use in my classroom and gave students such a wonderful hands-on way to model their fractions. The videos were also helpful for students who needed a little reminder! - Katlyn M.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ This resource saved me so much time in creating models to show equivalent fractions and adding/subtracting fractions with models. It was easy to use, and great for a visual for me to model for the kids on a video, and then for the kids to do on their own. Exactly what I needed! - Jayne L.